TYPOGRAPHY- PROJECT 2

25th  October 2017- 8th  November 2017 (Week 8-10)

Tulekova Arailym (0326122)
Typography and Hypertextuality 
Project 2


LECTURES

Lecture 8
25th of October 2017 (Week 8)

Today Mr.Vinod and Mr.Shamsul were cheking our animation of  Mr.Babadook and giving us feedbacks. After they go through all the people in the list they started to brief us a new project. In our new project we have to create a new font based on that font that Mr.Vinod gave us before (Bodoni, Bembo, Garamond and etc.) 


Lecture 8
1st of November 2017 (Week 9)
At the beginning of the class Mr. Shamsul started to check our blogs fo Project 1, while Mr. Vinod were giving feedbacks for our fonts. 

Lecture 9
8st of November 2017 (Week 9)
On this week Mr. Vinod gave us a lecturer about letter spacing, which is kerning and letterspacing and tracking.


INSTRUCTION 



PROJECT
Requirements:
  • Font Lab Studio 5 (not DEMO)
  • Adobe Illustrator CC 2017
Work progress:


  1. We have to choose one font as a reference. I choosed Gill Sans 
  2. Try different sketches on a graph paper.
  3. Draw each letter in  artboard sized 1000*1000 points
Fig 1.1 Sketches 

Fig 1.2 Work in progress. I'm using Gill Sans font as a reference on the hided layer.

Fig 1.3 Transferring all my letters and measuring the metrics and letterspacing.


Fig 1.4 FInal look of my font 

Fig 1.5 Alien font in Tru Type Format 


FEEDBACK:
Week 8:Specific feedback: Mr. Vinod commented my Babadook animation and said that in some pages it should be faster or the type can be changed so it will look more lit to the current text. Moreover he said that my work have room for improvement and can be developed to more interesting.
Week 9:Specific feedback: Mr. Shamsul said I have to make border for my png imajes of Babadook, so it will not get lost in background of ,my blog. Also i have to add picture with thumbnails to my post. Furthermore we have to add notes for all lectures. In addition Mr. SHamsul commented about my Font and said that letter should not be complex so it will not be messed up in text.
Week 10:Specific feeback: I was progressing my font design today . Mr. Vinod say I should make the design lines a bit farer from my letter, so from further places it will not look like a mess. I started transferring my letters into Font lab, but then when I already did 53 letters I realized that I’m using Demo version of FontLab and it only can save first 20 letters. Fortunately I found out how to safe all letters without losing any. General feedback: Mr. Vinod said we have to transfer all letters on one illustrator page and print them out.

REFLECTION:
Experience: 
Week 8:I experienced the necessety in deciding witch design to use. 
Week 9: Some problem with Font Lab DEMO version.
Week 10: Have used FontLab.

Observation: 
Week 8: I observed that can design a font and it's not that hard.
Week 9:  I observed that consistency in font are very important.
Week 10: All the kernings should look okay in sentence.

Finding:
Week 8: Design should be interesting, but not overdesigned .
Week 9: Be sure that every letter are properly merged before transferring.
Week 10: That it's time taking work you really have to put efford to produce something worthy.



BOOK OF THE WEEK:
In this book I have learned :
  1. Guidance on the essential tools and material needed to get starte
  2. A history of calligraphy, from its early beginnings to its 21st-century.
  3. Exercises for 20 fonts, from uncials and Anglo-Saxon scripts, to Roman capitals, gothic, and even modern freeform “drawn” lettering
I'm still exploring this book, so will update more infomation later.



Comments

Popular Posts